06 Dec Drawing closer to God
Drawing closer to God
Wesley House Cambridge
Completion Time: 6 weeks
Tuition: £175 (GBP)
Instructor(s): Sarah Middleton
Contact Info: Alastair Oatey
This is a new course for all who are interested in exploring mainly contemporary art from a variety of sources including the UK's prestigious Methodist Modern Art Collection. The course writer is Sarah Middleton, a freelance arts educator, Methodist Local Preacher and co-author of the ecumenically-produced ‘Creative Spirit’ DVD resource.
This course is for you if you are:
* wanting to reflect on visual art that can enhance our prayers and services of worship
* looking to develop skills in interpreting works of art in the context of doing theology
* a church leader seeking opportunities to work with or commission practising artists
We will look at:
* what is meant by so-called ‘Christian art’
* using images effectively, respecting good practice in reproducing them.
* Cubist, Expressionist and Indian influences through a painter in the UK's Methodist Modern Art Collection, and a drawing by renowned English artist Sir Stanley Spencer
* carved wood and mixed media work inspired by global events, the natural landscape and New Testament narrative, with a focus on the passion and resurrection of Jesus.
the latest course offerings
If we understand that every child is sacred, how does that inform our practices of Christian education? This one-hour webinar will explore a few ways to re-imagine Christian education through actual p…
Religions are intimately connected in our ever-shrinking world. We need to be both deeply formed by Christian sources and broadly informed by interreligious resources to engage this world with confide…
This course focuses on John Wesley’s life and the development of his theology in the context of the emerging Methodist movement during the eighteenth century; on developments and modifications of his…
Prepares students for the ethical challenges they will face as pastors and leaders in congregations, communities, and denominations. The course is designed to address leadership development and the co…